A holistic approach to health, joy, and good food.

Monday, August 8, 2011

Taking Care Of Something....

I believe in taking care of something...whether it's you, or your children, or your hands, your heart...taking care of yourself with good thoughts rather than doubts, regrets, or negativity.  One of my passions is taking care of flowers and plants.  I have to say that I try to visit the greenhouse (if they have one) or flower center of any store I go to.  I saved this amaryllis from a store recently...this store sells house goods, rugs, towels, what not, and this amaryllis was just hanging out in the crazy rubble of textiles.  The package was opened, the pot had dirt within it, secured in a plastic bag, and right on top was a bulb secretly growing towards the electric lights overhead.  Not an ounce of fresh air, bees, wind, or sunlight, but there it was, doing its best.  I immediately took it, paid for it, and went home to salvage it.  Well worth the $6 (or was it $8?) they asked for it, when I went up to the counter.  




Close to this plant is a winter-blooming african violet, complete with her succulent and soft purple flowers.  I love it and watch its seasons - from flower, to wilt, and then back to flower. It follows its own pattern and does just fine next to an eastern window.  My grandmother's name was violet (or a version of the name) and I think of her when I take care of this beauty....


Sometimes when you get out of your own skin to do something good for the world, even if it's for a little unknown plant, it does wonders for your soul.  Maybe eat more veggies, or buy organic, or take care to throw out as little produce as possible by planning well.  Whatever it is, you can start today, in little ways that make a big difference.  

No comments:

Post a Comment