A holistic approach to health, joy, and good food.

Saturday, August 6, 2011

Japan meets Italy Salad, in a Love Affair...

One of my favorite uber simplistic, "I'm tired from a day of teaching and don't want to cook" dinner is fresh mozzarella and chunky tomatoes with basil, onions, peppers...just a whole big slab of mediterranean on my plate.  It's complete with a big chunk of crusty bread, some REAL butter, and a glass of wine, but these days I'm checking in with my sugar/sulfite intake so I've been obedient (and my body thanks me for it).  



I've found a comfort in a new friend which mimics smoked mozzarella, and that's smoked tofu - who knew? - enough of a protein to keep me satisfied, and it gives me just the flavor I want for this vegan spin on one of my favorite dishes.  Who could ask for more?  

Instead of the bread, I succumb to a portion of  leftover but perfect and soothing brown rice with a little sea salt.  I love the nutty chew of it, and for a moment (until my phone rings) I actually think I might be on some venetian vacation.  Ahem. 

I used heirloom tomatoes here, in an attempt to taste the "original", and also to give the plate a few unexpected colors from the nightshade family (save the seeds!).  This dish is sort of a macro (rice), non macro (nightshades), italian (smoked tofu)...em....well, you get the picture....It is a love affair of different cultures, and somehow it's delish...A dash of fresh basil and there you have it.  Super simple, super edible, and super gone...  

No comments:

Post a Comment