A holistic approach to health, joy, and good food.

Monday, August 8, 2011

Steamed Greens with Sesame Mustard Sauce...

In the cold winter months, I tend to gravitate towards foods that taste naughty - sometimes salty, buttery, sweet...but in fact, I don't want the added consequence of eating that food, so I've come up with this to fool my taste buds.  Be forewarned, this might seem like a light meal but it is very filling.  Quite easily, I can eat this all myself (if I'm eating nothing else for the meal) and it carries me through.  I get the tastes I desire, but without the lethargy I usually feel after heavy meals.  


In this meal, you'll find sweet, salty, pungent, and spicy...all except for bitter.  I think that may be why it always feels comforting to eat it, and I feel satisfied.






Greens: 
1 head asparagus, trimmed (snap off the ends)
2-3 baby bok choy, cut into thirds
carrots, daikon, peas, or whatever other veggie you like (optional)

Dressing:
1 tablespoon toasted sesame oil (although untoasted is healthier, toasted has a better flavor)
2 tablespoons tamari
1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar (raw)
1 teaspoon raw honey or brown rice syrup
1/2 garlic clove, grated
1/2 inch ginger root, grated
salt and pepper to taste
1 to 2 tablespoons sesame seeds, depending on your taste
1 teaspoon mustard (I like whiskey mustard, but dijon works too)
1/4 jalapeno, seeded, and chopped (optional)




Place all the veggies in a steam basket (or steamer) over boiling water and steam until bright green - this is critical, since the first time I did this, I waited a while when I saw that the veggies were still a little hard, and pretty soon they turned to mush.  Better yet, take them out before you think they're done, since they'll continue to cook on your plate.  This might mean 2 minutes of steaming. 


While they're steaming, mix all the dressing ingredients together and let sit. When the veggies are done, promptly remove them to a bowl or plate and drizzle the dressing over.  If you feel adventurous, you can even sprinkle cilantro or thai basil on top.  Enjoy! LOVE it!



No comments:

Post a Comment