A holistic approach to health, joy, and good food.

Saturday, August 6, 2011

Mushrooms On Toast, for Breakfast..

I love mushrooms - any which way, for breakfast, lunch or dinner.  They're meaty, rich, and you can build a whole meal out of them.  Balsamic portabello, savory button mushroom-filled crepes, miso with shitakes, the list goes on and on.  Surprisingly, I never get sick of them, even if I'm stumbling to the stove after work, brain fried, and just pan sautee some whites and shitakes with garlic, olive oil and salt.  It takes care of the meat cravings for me, and it borders on comfort food (right after chocolate pudding and mashed potatoes).  Ahem.  

The other day I made a cauliflower pear soup (see previous post) and needed a little crunch and meatiness to go along with it, so in the last moment, this is what I came up with.  I'm also going through a phase where I'm trying to eat more greens, but make them more palatable.  So...I married in to the recipe a leaf or two of minced collards, and they were happy that way.  Simple but elegant, a sort of mushroom bruschetta. 


1/2 a red onion, minced fine
1-2 collard leaves (discard only the really chunky stems), minced fine
about 10 buttom white mushrooms
olive oil
red pepper flakes
adobo sauce (from chipotles in adobo), to taste
1 tablespoon chopped cilantro (optional)
toasts (I used ezikiel sprouted bread)
salt and lots of fresh pepper to taste



Lightly sautee the red onion in oil, and add some red pepper flakes and pepper (I just eyed it, but I'd imagine you'd add the amount to your tastes - I love spice, so I just went for it).  In this order, but in no particular time lapse, I added the collards, mushrooms, and some salt.  Cover for about 2 minutes just until the mushrooms sweat.  Uncover and let the liquid vaporize.  If you'd like, you could also add a pinch or two of chopped cilantro, once you've turned off the heat.  


Assemble the toasts by covering in the mushroom mixture and sprinkling some adobo sauce over top. Yummmmm....

No comments:

Post a Comment