A holistic approach to health, joy, and good food.

Saturday, August 6, 2011

Miso Soup For The Cranky...

Today I had an acupuncture appointment where I divulged a bizarre anddisturbing need to consume sugar (yes, white sugar) and the doc said to me "dark leafy greens...." and a moment later, after a thought, "and seaweed with daikon".  So, as a good patient, I came home and prepared an everything, rebellious, hearty miso soup with everything I could think of.  After all, I was cranky.  I thought the answer would be more chocolate, but no.  More greens.






This is a great winter healing soup.  Chlorophyl for immunity, ginger and hot spice for the metabolism, chewy tofu for some protein, daikon for some cleansing, and a bit of scallion for a bite.  







It's perfect for warming you up on a winter day.  And as I write (and eat) I do have to say that the iodine/salt in the seaweed does in fact appease my sugar craving...maybe I needed the opposite?  Just goes to show you, you should always trust your acupuncture doc.  
(Props for Melissa!  www.seninstitute.com)




1/2 teaspoon toasted sesame oil
1/8 of a teaspoon ginger paste (you can use fresh) 
2 leaves of baby bok choy, chopped coarse
About a small handful of cubed baked tofu 
1/4 jallapeno pepper, minced
2 scallions, whites and light green parts, chopped
a pinch of wakame
1 round of raw daikon, cut in thin matchsticks
a pinch of red pepper flakes
1 teaspoon miso paste (I used red miso) diluted in 2 T. water




In a deep pot, medium sized pot, heat up the oil and ginger, just long enough for you to find and measure your water.  Add in water, tofu, pepper, scallions, arame, daikon and bring to a simmer.  Simmer it just until heated through and when you see the wakame rehydrate, about a minute or so.  Turn off the burner and add the miso.  Swivel a spoon around, just so it's thoroughly mixed and no miso chunks appear.  Dish into a bowl and add the bok choy on top (I like it raw) and finish with a sprinkle of red pepper flakes.  

No comments:

Post a Comment