A holistic approach to health, joy, and good food.

Friday, August 5, 2011

Raw Kale splendor salad...

I love this stuff...just eating things the way they're born energizes me, and kale is one of such glorious foods.  Whenever I eat it, I stand up straight like a star student in 2nd grade and congratulate myself that (1) it tastes awesome and (2) I'm getting a serious dose of raw nourishment.  


Avocado is also my new best friend - I've made a dressing out of creamy avocado and some fresh squeezed orange juice, and I then sort of massage it in the kale to tenderize it a little bit...the longer you let it sit, the more it "cooks" in the dressing, but it's still raw and delicious.  


I sauteed some portabello mushroom caps on the side and it was a completely delicious meal, packed with vitamins and plant-based calcium, protein, and everything else...


dressing:  
1/8 - 1/4 cup fresh squeezed orange juice
1/2 an avocado
sprinkle each of salt, pepper, crushed red pepper

salad:  
4 stalks of kale, de-stemmed and julienned small and thin 
(then cut through twice through the julienned pieces to shorten, if desired)
1/4 red pepper, diced
1/2 cup diced Pomelo fruit (or orange is fine too), without pith
1/2 a sweet apple, peeled and diced



In a large and deep salad bowl (fit for one), crush the avocado with the back of a fork and add in the orange juice and the spices (to your taste).  It should be creamy and a little sweet.  In the same bowl, pile together the kale, red pepper, pomello, and apple and toss together (or better yet, use your hands and massage the dressing in to the kale).  Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment