A holistic approach to health, joy, and good food.

Monday, August 8, 2011

Lip Lickin' Hummus...


My mother loves hummus and radishes, so this picture is in tribute to the way she raised me :) I love their deep reds and spicy tones, and I (as my mom) think they are perfect with hummus.  I typically buy organic whole chickpeas and boil them myself, but in a pinch, I do unabashedly open up a can of organic chickpeas and use these instead.  This recipe uses the latter method.  I try to use Eden brands when possible (their cans are safer for the food).  I love my Vitamix, but I think you can use any type of blender (the result will just be a bit more chunky, and that's OK too).  



Two 15 oz can of organic chickpeas, liquid reserved
1 heaping tablespoon tahini
1 jalapeno pepper (without seeds, or if you dare, with seeds)
salt and pepper to taste

optional:  
1 clove of garlic
rosemary
extra virgin olive oil
grated lemon peel (organic lemons)
cumin and other indian spices
raw onion


Drain chickpeas but reserve the liquid.  In a blender, add the chickpeas and 1/2 cup of their juice.  If it doesn't budge, then add a little bit of the liquid at a time, and help it out by moving it around with a spatula until it "catches".  (When I made it, I actually emptied out the whole can in the blender, with all of its juices, and the result was a smooth hummus, but a bit on the thin side...I kind of like it that way, but if you want it thicker, you might want to start with 1/2 of the liquid).  Blend with the jalapeno, tahini, and salt and pepper to your liking.  Blend until smooth, and serve.If you are watching your salt, omit the liquid, drain the beans, and add about 3/4 cup or so of water to replace the liquid. For the most part, I eyeball it (exact measures is not a part of my chemical makeup).    For different flavors, add any of the optional additions above, for a kick and a bit of spunk in your step :) If you're planning to eat it or serve it within an hour of making it, add 1/2 of a red onion (minced) and you will love it.  I really to serve it plain with green peppers, red radishes, endive (best source of calcium!), red peppers, and scallions.  Yum! 



No comments:

Post a Comment