A holistic approach to health, joy, and good food.

Saturday, August 6, 2011

Cauliflower Pear "Bisque"...


The first time I heard of this surprising combination is from my friend Daryl who, according to her, doesn't cook much but, according to me, whatever she makes is delightful and comforting.  Daryl says her daughter Bekka loves this soup, and so I tried it myself.  It contains all of three main ingredients, but it tastes like a mix of winter falling in love with spring.  A little romance on your stove - how fresh and beautiful! 

It has a fruity aroma with a creamy base that you'd swear tastes a little like potato leek soup (for non-vegans, I'm sure you can add 2 tablespoons or so of cream to make it even more divine).  Hence the name "bisque", but it fools you.  If I were to make it again, I'd swirl a syrup made with chipotle and cilantro with lime juice, but this time around, I was so hungry that all you get is a sprig of cilantro and some dots of chipotle juice.  I served this with mushrooms and collards on toast and it was divine, I tell you (recipe follows in next post).  It's super filling to boot, and if you're a pear lover, you'll make it again and again (and in about 15 minutes) - Now I like that.  

1/2 of a red onion, chopped fine
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 head of cauliflower, florets 1 inch or so in size
1 green/yellow pear, very ripe (but not brown), deseeded
           (if using a bosc pear, or one with thick skin, peel first)
clean water
salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
adobo sauce from canned chiopotles
sprigs of cilantro


In a heavy bottomed sauce pan, sautee the onion in the olive oil until lightly browned, with a dash of salt and pepper.  Add 2 cups of water and the cauliflower and cover, on medium heat, and cook until the cauliflower softens.  Stir often.  Do a little belly dance.  If you need to crush it up using a potato smasher, by all means, go for it...but the blender should do the rest.  Take the contents of the pot and blend it (using an immersion blender, or a standing blender - I used the latter) with the pear until smooth. You may add some water to simplify the process if the blender is fickle, up to the desired consistency.  


Return the creamy goodness back to the pot and reheat for about 4 minutes or so, on low, covered.  Watch out, this soup speaks to you and spatters (she has a mind of her own), so be careful not to burn yourself.  


Pour into individual bowls, and garnish with cilantro and drops of adobo sauce.  Smell first, and then dive in.  

No comments:

Post a Comment