A holistic approach to health, joy, and good food.

Saturday, August 6, 2011

Garlic escarole, artichokes and cannelini...

I've been on a cannellini kick....I don't know why but they're really becoming my favorite bean.  They're soft, creamy, the right consistency, just salty enough, and melt in your mouth good.  I've also been obsessing about greens - any kind of green, really.  Bok choy, spinach, kale, collards, and now escarole...ah.  Escarole is the dreamy green since it's mild, softens beautifully, and the inner colors of the leaves are a tender yellow which remind me of spring and all of its gloriousness.  I love it.  This is a classic recipe with a little spin :) 


I've also been using this cherry vinagrette and little by little, I'm adding it to dishes since I think it's just magical.  Use it here, or don't - as you wish.  Recipe is in another post....coming soon!


I have to say that I really hate using cans, so if possible, buy frozen artichoke hearts and make your own canellini beans.  I'm happy to say whole foods carries the dried variety and in 40 minutes you can have your own lifetime supply of cooked cannelini.  The recipe below is for the rushed cook who just wants to eat a good meal in peace....for you, just use the cans.  For everyone else, use the measurements. 


2 garlic cloves chopped
1 teaspoon olive oil
1 head escarole, cleaned and chopped into bite sized pieces
1 can of artichoke hearts (frozen is better), drained and quartered (about 1.5 cups)
1 can cannelini beans, drained and rinsed (about 1.5 cup)
1 tablespoon magic cherry vinagrette (optional) - recipe follows in another post...




Heat the oil and garlic with a little salt over medium-low heat in a nice sized pot (or even skillet if it's big enough).  Watch it from burning and stir often.  Once the aromas start to lift, add the escarole (don't need to dry it - a little water is fine) and put a lid on it until it's moderately cooked down.  You don't want it too wilted, but rather vibrant green and still with a little bite (undercooked, you can say).  Stir in the artichokes and cannelini until heated through.  Ladle this gorgeous "stew" into a bowl and dress with the vinagrette.  Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment