A holistic approach to health, joy, and good food.

Sunday, September 23, 2012

Our Watermelon "Egg"

This monster was growing in our garden and we hardly saw it develop...it must have been a matter of days since I saw it first at about 7 inches and then poof...there it went.  Exploded.  Blossomed.  Our little watermelon egg. 


Small brownish indent in the grass below is where the watermelon came from...

These are actually two plants, from two seeds...we harvested this one and soon after that, another watermelon popped up. Pretty good, I say just with two seeds, a little water, and sun.  It was one of the most self-sufficient plants we've ever had.  It just did its own thing, and we sat back, relaxed and marveled at how quickly it grew. 

The flesh inside was a bit on the pink side, I think perhaps since I couldn't wait. It was huge, by the way, so I learned my lesson...apparently, it can get even MORE huge.  When tapped, it sounded hollow, so we went to town, sliced it up, and are now beginning to juice it.  Mild in flavor but sweet and super juicy. Delish. 

I hope this inspires you to grow your own next spring - it is incredibly easy to do and in no time, you can have your very own watermelon....

No comments:

Post a Comment