A holistic approach to health, joy, and good food.

Monday, September 3, 2012

Lemony Dill Fennel Salad

For the longest time, I had this love/hate relationship with fennel.  Ok, it was more of a "couldn't be bothered" relationship with fennel. The initial "love" part was that I "wanted to love it" but I didn't, but I felt that it would certainly be something romantic if I did...fennel was one of those vegetables that deserved to be in roman war stories or romance novels or eaten with very small forks by righteous people. But every time I'd taste it, honestly, it just didn't do it for me. It was slightly pompous in its licorice flavor and it needed to be regulated a bit.  That was just my take.  A little tete-a-tete was in order. But now I've changed my tune. Enter one very important ingredient.

Avocado made me fall in love with fennel. They should have been married at some point but it just seems like Italian fennel and California or Mexico avocado would never have met under normal circumstance... Until I furrowed my brow, determined and all, shoved up my sleeves and had them get together in my bowl.  Sprinkled with some dill (where did that one come from) and lemon (I see the Sicilian touch there), what came to be was nothing short of magic.  My new....favorite....salad.  

Here she is, in all her glory.

1 good sized fennel bulb, sliced paper thin
1/2 lemon, juiced (or to taste)
1/2  to 1 full avocado, depending on size, cubed
1 heaping Tablespoon chopped fresh dill
drizzle of flax seed oil
salt, to taste
lots of pepper

Version 1:  The tame way.
Mix everything together gingerly, and enjoy at once. 

Version 2:  The not so tame way.
Massage the fennel between your hands with lemon juice, dill, oil, salt and pepper, and get everything good and cozy.  Let the ingredients meet each other :) Add the avocado, have a little toss, and enjoy this messy beautiful treat. 

No comments:

Post a Comment