A holistic approach to health, joy, and good food.

Saturday, September 22, 2012

House Staple Black Bean Salsa Soup

I'm not really sure why I love black beans so much, since we didn't have them as often as you'd think in my childhood...although my mom made a mean re-fried bean recipe with kidney beans, I didn't see black beans very often. I've grown to love them as an adult since they're smaller and have a different bite to them (not as soft) as kidney beans. Although they give a good punch to stews and soups, I find that they're a bit more mellow and blend better with other veggies than some other beans. This is why this soup has become a staple in my home. 

Prior to this soup, I have to admit, I wasn't much of a "soup maker". In my teens, when I was learning to cook, I always followed the recipe for soups, and never veered, since I was always afraid of the quantities of the ingredients.  I thought more like a baker (how I started out) and didn't realize that soups were really, well, a mish mosh of leftover veggies mixed together with patience, a low flame, and some time.  This soup isn't scary. It's really just born out of a "cleaning the fridge" type of day. I guess that's what I like about it. 

2 cups black beans
1/2 cup celery, diced
1/2 onion, diced
5 florets cauliflower, chopped
5 florets broccoli, chopped
1 carrot, diced
1 tomato, diced
1/3 cup peas
1/2 cup corn
3 or 4 cups water
1/2 bottle of trader joe's salsa (others are fine but TJ's can't be beat)
a handful of chopped kale (added at the end)
....and then I moved to the pantry.... 

I don't bother sauteing anything - everything goes in the pot, no oil, no salt, just pure whole food goodness.  Simmer, covered, for about 20 minutes and you're done (add kale at the end to just wilt it).  

On a cold winter day, you can even add chunks of sweet potatoes, or just make it all onion and bean and salsa to keep it simple. This is extremely filling, and if you can invest in a pressure cooker to cook all of your beans, it's infinitely cheap over time. 

Note: this soup turns everything in it dark, including the white cauliflower. If you're weirded out about that, just leave it out. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment