A holistic approach to health, joy, and good food.

Tuesday, July 10, 2012

An adventure with a Korean Melon...

Insert the U2 song "ooh, oh, the sweetest thing" as you read this, since honestly this melon does taste like....well...the sweetest thing. 

I dedicate this post to Okee, my new pal and "Kim Chi Guru" from Institute for Integrative Nutrition, who advised me to get one (or two) at this Korean market I visited this past weekend.  I didn't know what to think, honestly.  People left and right were telling me how to judge a "good one" and what to do when I'm home...do I let it sit, do I eat it right away, do you peel it or not, can you eat the seeds? I was in a whirlwind when I left, but I followed the sage advice of my new wonderful friend Jay who led us through the store with poise and patience... the best advice ever (thank you Jay!).  I let it sit a few days, sliced it open, and took a big bite, including the seeds.  

And then a came the song.  Oh, oh, the sweetest thing.  Wow, pow, bam.  It was like a marriage of cantaloupe and honeydew and just out of this world deliciousness.  



You open it up and it's pure white with the smallest seeds...almost looks like a cucumber.  The peel is a vibrant yellow and smells sweet, and works well to indicate ripeness. I highly recommend it in any way you can get it - in smoothies, fruit salads, blended, solid, right side up, upside down, any which way.  You'll fall in love with it like I did for sure.  

I might even venture into freezing it and making a Korean melon sorbet.  Stay tuned, as I might be crazy enough to try it....

Now, walk quietly and softly towards the door, and go out and get one.  And call me in the morning...


No comments:

Post a Comment