A holistic approach to health, joy, and good food.

Monday, July 16, 2012

Out Of This World Raw Korean Food

Clockwise from 1:00:  cucumber pickle, kim chi, asparagus namul, shitake namul,
lotus root, zucchini namul, center: daikon/cashew rice
My first Korean food experience was with my college room-mate Jee-Yeoung.  She brought in the most amazing food one day and I was instantly hooked (even on those little dried fish!). There are no animal food products in our home today, but my heart couldn't take it if I couldn't have Korean food, so I looked for vegan and raw options.  And then I found the perfect book by Ani Phyo named Ani's Raw Food Asia (find it here), which teaches us how to create delicious raw Asian food, with loads of Korean recipes.  I was a happy girl that day. 

This was my first stab at it and I was not disappointed...the textures and flavors varied and I had a fun time massaging all of these vegetables in quintessential Asian marinades.  The rice was made out of cashews and daikon, the whole meal was complete with kim chi and even raw, simple and easy Gochujang sauce. 



Enjoy all the tastes and delights and go out and by her book! It is well worth it.

Raw Vegan and Super-simple Gochujang Sauce





No comments:

Post a Comment