A holistic approach to health, joy, and good food.

Tuesday, June 11, 2013

Broccoli Guacamole

I know many of you know how to make guacamole - it's relatively easy and everyone has their own preferred method and recipe.  It's so creamy, flavorful and delicious, that it's a staple in my house.  More recently, however, I've really been reaching for a different texture, almost as if the "creamy" isn't doing it for me anymore.  I know.  Hard to believe.  Most of my clients declare "creamy" as being their down fall or most popular craving, but I've really been looking for a bite, a crunch, something different.

It's quite easy to add things in to guacamole, and it puzzles me that we don't do it very often. Chopped spinach, olives, chopped cauliflower, peppers...Almost making it a guacamole salad.  This is just one way to sneak in some extra fiber, nutrients and goodness, and believe me, your kids won't notice it.  My son gobbled this up like it was nobody's business.  

You can easily double this recipe and put in a whole cup of chopped broccoli.  


1 good sized avocado (if not, use two)
1 garlic clove, crushed
1 small plum tomato, chopped fine
one slice of lime
1/2 cup broccoli, chopped fine
sea salt, to taste
1/4 cup chopped cilantro
one whole pepper, sliced into 4 big "steaks"*


Mash the avocado and garlic.  Add in the chopped tomato, squeeze the lime, and blend well.  Add in the broccoli and combine well, and season to taste with salt and pepper.  You can also add in some chipotle powder for an extra kick. Fold in the cilantro, and serve on a thick slice of pepper, as shown. 

* For the pepper, just slice off the top and bottom. Then cut the pepper into 4 equal squares and use it in place of a cracker.  I call these "steaks", but you don't have to call them anything. Just eat 'em. :) 

No comments:

Post a Comment