A holistic approach to health, joy, and good food.

Tuesday, June 11, 2013

Late-Growing Arugula Pesto

So I let my arugula grow and grow and grow.  I secretly had an agenda, you see...I love eating the flowers (1) and I was looking to save some seeds (2) and so here we are in June harvesting a cool-weather crop.  

This pesto hit the spot. Super whole ingredients, and it's done in a jiffy.   Now, if you know me, you know I don't like oil.  Or I should say, use it sparingly, only when completely necessary. Not that I'm against it for any personal or religious reason, I just figure that I can get my fats in a whole form along with some fiber and bulk, that's all.  I can either eat 120 calories of liquid and not be satisfied, or 120 luscious calories of crunch, creaminess, and satisfaction.  So we've added seeds (or nuts) to this, and have done away with the oil, and truth be told I don't miss it. It's still creamy and delish.


4 small bunches arugula, with the bottom stems chopped (this is about 1 cup a bunch, so 4 cups total - 
but just estimate, and you can alter the taste at the end).
1/2 cup pumpkin seeds*
1/2 cup sunflower seeds*
2 garlic cloves, minced fine (you can start with one if you're not a garlic fan)
salt, to taste
water, as needed

*In place of the nuts, you can also use a mixture of walnuts/cashews. 



In a food processor, process the nuts or seeds, garlic, and a little salt until everything resembles small rice.  Add in the arugula and process.  If you'd like it more thin, more like a sauce, add in water a little at a time but don't over do it.  I actually like this thick and chunky so I can spread it and it doesn't roll away from me.  

When you store it, make sure none of it is expose to air as it does turn a darker color.  Cover with parchment paper or if you have to, plastic wrap, and keep the air away from the surface.  

I like to serve it over cukes with tons of tomatoes and a little avocado on the side. If you want, use it as you would any pesto - over pasta (we use brown rice pasta when we make it).  Also, if you miss the oil you can add in some cold-pressed oil of your choice to make it more like a dressing, to put over a salad. Or, as we did below, freeze it in an ice cube tray for later, and use small portions (one ice cube at a time) to dress anything from chickpeas to sauteed zucchini, and so on.  

Loved it!

No comments:

Post a Comment