A holistic approach to health, joy, and good food.

Friday, June 1, 2012

Sweet Mint Kohlrabi Smoothie

Ah, kohlrabi, my new favorite veggie.  Here are two versions....green and purple, although the insides are the same white, water-rich and delicious...



The taste is a little bit between a radish and a broccoli stem, and once you peel the tough outer skin, the bulb mass can be sliced, diced, and used raw in salads, shredded in slaws, and in a variety of ways.  I'll be posting a kohlrabi salad next, so stay tuned.  


     The greens are also wonderful to use, so please don't toss them!  They're low in calories, high in fiber, loaded with vitamins especially vitamin C, and since it's a part of the brassica family, this veggie (bulb, leaves, and all) is especially good for cancer prevention.  
     Today, I decided to take the plunge and use them in a smoothie, and it's absolutely delicious.  Honestly, we should be seeing this veggie in every food store, and it's barely to be found...something I hope will change in the future. 
     This smoothie has the taste of summer written all over it, and it's super cooling.  This is a great way to use those kohlrabi greens I mentioned in the last post, as well as the ever growing sweet mint that ravages our gardens (to be honest, I love mint everywhere, so I think I may be the only one who doesn't mind mint taking over....which means more shakes for me!)


1/3 of the blender kohlrabi leaves
sweet mint/spearmint leaves and stems filled up to the 1/2 blender line
1 large banana
1 soft pear
frozen strawberries almost to the top of the blender


Combing all the ingredients together in the order listed, and add water to fill 1/2 the container.  Blend away and enjoy.



1 comment:

  1. To me, having a good Best Hand Blender Reviews is a must, well before having either a blender or a food processor.

    I’ve never owned a food processor. Too much trouble in my opinion. Too much stuff to wash. I had a blender (that was given to me) until it started overheating, then I just kept the glass container. I can use my hand blender to make shakes in the blender container…

    Hand blenders reduce dirty dishes, are convenient, versatile and take up less space than the two appliances you mentioned. Buy a quality one, and it’ll make your life so much easier !

    ReplyDelete