A holistic approach to health, joy, and good food.

Saturday, May 26, 2012

Raw Rescue Chocolate Sauce

I call this "rescue chocolate sauce" because the urge for sweets comes pretty quickly for some, especially after a really salty meal, and this is where we can make some pretty poor choices for desserts.  This chocolate sauce will rescue you, as it's rescued me many many times (ok, almost daily).  For me, it has to be quick and it has to be simple or I just won't do it.  Often, I peel an orange and there's my dessert (I'm not a saint, I'm just practical). But other times, I'm really feelin' for some chocolate, and it's chocolate I must have.  This recipe always changes since I never really measure anything, but here's as close as I can get to it.  

You can serve it like I do, with bananas and pecans for a special "chocolate banana pecan pie sort of thing", over toast, or just with fruits (berries are my favorite).  Or if you're that down in the dumps, with a big spoon all by its lonely self.  I promise you won't be disappointed.  And it's not loaded with sugar, butter, milk, eggs, so you feel like you can indulge like a decent human being without feeling deprived or guilty. 

2 heaping tablespoons raw cacao
1 tablespoon raw honey
pinch salt
1 teaspoon vanilla extract (or almond or hazelnut)
water (I'd use about 3 tablespoons for a really thick sauce 
or more for a thinner sauce...you call the shots)

Mix everything together in a bowl and adjust water for consistency and honey for sweetness.  Enjoy!

You can also make a raw "Reese's" taste with this if you add a tablespoon of raw almond butter.  This sauce will be pretty thick and rich at that point, and oh so good....

No comments:

Post a Comment