A holistic approach to health, joy, and good food.

Tuesday, December 4, 2012

Maple Amaranth Porridge

I love oatmeal as much as the next guy, but sometimes I like to mix up my grains a bit and get a little crazy.  Like this Maple amaranth porridge.  I was transfixed by how crazy little this grain is, and how packed with nutrition it is. I would highly recommend you try different grains, and start with this one for complete beginners.  Amaranth cooks down into this gelatinous beautiful goop. 

A native of Peru, Amaranth is packed with calcium and protein and it also contains "lysine", an amino acid which is not as common in other grains. It's known to lower cholesterol, is good for the heart, and it's gluten free.  It's an all-around winner, I say.


1 cup amaranth
3 cups water

Cook the amaranth in the water until most of the water is absorbed.  Cover and let cool.  You can make a big batch of this (as I do) and scoop out a portion to make for your porridge.

3/4 cups almond milk
maple syrup
cinnamon

Scoop out 1/2 cup amaranth into a pot and add about 3/4 cups almond milk, preferably home-made.  Let it simmer and thicken, just a few minutes.  You may use a whisk to break down the lumps of amaranth.  Pour out into a bowl, season with a little sea salt, maple syrup and cinnamon and enjoy.  

No comments:

Post a Comment