A holistic approach to health, joy, and good food.

Sunday, November 11, 2012

Maple Apple Cranberry Chutney


Cranberry Sauce is one of my weaknesses, and until about a few years ago, it did certainly involve shaking out this crazy but fun gelatinous tube of "sauce" out of a can. I thought it was funny that it would remain in that solid blob, but I didn't mind. I'd just take a fork and go to town.  The taste of sweet and tart was undeniably irresistible, and I could eat the whole thing myself, with or without turkey.

After turning plant based, I realized that every department of my culinary life could use an overhaul, or at the very least, a huge improvement. Out went the turkey, but would the can of cranberry "sauce" follow? It was a personal decision for me, but yes, of course, it had to.  I guess formerly I didn't mind that I could save a can or two in my pantry and it would never go bad (insert vision of me eating cranberry sauce in the summer time, spring time, autumn, you name it).  Now that I know better (and have discovered the pop that fresh cranberries make when cooked) I'm hooked to a more mature version of this addictive concoction.  Enter the chutney.  

This maple apple cranberry chutney isn't too sweet, too tart, it just...lingers.  Like a good sunset or a fabulous book.  It takes a little while to taste all the flavors, but it is well worth the wait.  Just use a grown up fork and again, go to town (but in a civilized way, of course).

1 bag fresh cranberries
2 medium sweet apples, such as honeycrisp, diced
Juice from one or two large oranges 
dash cinnamon
dash ground cloves
dash nutmeg
1/3 cup maple syrup, or more or less to taste
sea salt, to taste

Combine all ingredients (except for the maple syrup and salt) and heat over medium until bubbly.  Lower the heat and cook until thickened.  Add the syrup and salt and taste to adjust to your liking.  Eat it hot, warm, or cool, with a big spoon.  

No comments:

Post a Comment